Who we are
Rapiscan Systems Limited is a rapidly growing, fast paced and high energy company looking for a talented individual to become part of our global team, supporting our commitment to delivering technical excellence. Since 1993, we have been a proud and trusted partner of government agencies and private security operations around the world and are a leading provider of quality x-ray security equipment and manufacturers of cargo and vehicle inspection solutions. As the world’s leading security screening provider, Rapiscan Systems provides state of the art products, solutions and services that meet our customers’ most demanding threat detection needs.
PCB Layout Engineer – the role
This role is required to bring the PCB layout of electronic designs in house, removing the dependency on outside resource which is costly and time consuming. It is not to be confused with that of an electronics design engineer – the PCB layout discipline requires specific knowledge of both the PCB manufacturing and the component assembly processes. The position is best suited to an individual working closely with the manufacturing and assembly team, in so doing allowing the Electronics Design Engineer to focus more closely on the detail of the design solution.
- Become the schematic capture and PCB librarian to define, create, and maintain component library shapes, symbols and PCB layouts for new designs across the company.
- Significant mechanical engineering experience in previous positions to understand the integration of the PCB design into the broader product platform.
- Parasitic circuit-board design (and possible simulation) based upon requirements set out by design engineer.
- Liaising with external PCB manufacturers and external subcontract manufacturers.
- Liaising with internal OSI Electronics UK (OSIE UK) PCB assembly engineers to optimise layout for manufacturing cost and efficiency.
- Examining obsolescence and board optimisation for large scale production.
- Working with sub-component selection from a variety of vendors in partnership with the design engineer.
- Component consolidation.
- Developing a preferred parts list in conjunction with the design engineers – catalogue of components the electronics design engineer uses first. Using another device requires approval from the relevant design authority.
- Work under the direction of the Electronics Manufacturing Engineer to bring to manufacture designs and concepts from the Rapiscan Electronics Design department, to be integrated in sub-component assemblies at OSIE UK, tested and validated before shipping to Rapiscan’s Stoke facility.
- Proficient in the use of Altium Designer as the main software tool for design work.
- Assist with design for manufacture.
- Working with subcomponent selection from a variety of vendors in partnership with the design engineer.
- Uphold the company’s core values of integrity, innovation, accountability, and teamwork
- Demonstrate behaviour consistent with the company’s Code of Ethics and Conduct.
- It is the responsibility of every employee to report to their manager or a member of senior management any quality problems or defects in order for corrective action to be implemented and to avoid recurrence of the problem
- Duties may be modified or assigned at any time to meet the needs of the business.
- A relevant qualification such as bachelor’s in electrical engineering, HND, HNC or equivalent in electronic engineering, or relevant experience.A sound understanding of multi-layer PCB design and layout.
- Experience of using ECAD design software such as Altium.
Desirable if you have…
- Work experience in a manufacture PCB design or an electronic test environment.
- Experience of designing and building your own electronic projects.
- A sound understanding of electronics principles and fundamentals.
- Substantial experience with PCB (PC board, printed circuit board) high speed digital, analogue, RF and switch mode power supply design layout and impedance control; PCB fabrication IPC-6011/6012D, PCB assembly J-STD-001F and IPC-A-610F (Classes 2 and 3)
- IPC CID (Certified Interconnect Designer) qualified.
The position is based at our St Neots, Cambridgeshire, headquarters.
Use this link to take you to our LinkedIn jobs page.
OSI Electronics UK is a subsidiary of Californian based OSI Electronics.
Posted 18th October 2019.